Bad news is product management stock in trade
In this episode I talk about the best tactics for delivering bad news.
- Have you ever had to tell a customer you weren’t going to deliver their favorite feature?
- Or inform your executive team that your new product version will be later than you had promised?
We face these challenges all the time as product managers – uncertainty and surprises are a guaranteed part of innovation and design.
So in this episode I give you tactics you can help make these conversations go as well as possible. Whether you’re talking to a customer, or to your management, these tips will help your communication run more smoothly.
In fact, delivering bad news can end up being the best thing you can do for your organization or company. As Steve Jobs said, saying “No” is a lot more important for success than saying “Yes.”
A few related links from The Secret Product Manager Handbook blog:
- 3 articles about persuasion for product managers: Persuasion Tips For Product Managers, Have A Goal, Pre-Handle Objections
- How to get your customer to say No to their own feature request
- Storytelling for product managers
Let me know how I’m doing
If you like this episode, please rate and review the episode and podcast on iTunes or wherever you get your podcasts. You can leave a comment below, or leave me a voice message using the Speakpipe widget at the bottom. And there are some beautiful sharing buttons you can use as well.