The Secret of Great Social Proof
One of the main jobs of our rational brain is to justify the decisions of our emotional brain.
As product managers, the decision that interests us the most is people deciding to buy our product.
That means we need to understand how to make our product, our positioning, and our marketing appeal to our prospect’s emotional brain.
In this episode – how to do that, using stories of our customers achievement of personal goals, as the basis for great social proof for our product’s awesomeness.
- Alan Cooper’s The Inmates Are Running The Asylum – one of the canonical texts on interaction design, the source (for me, anyway) of the concept “personal goals,” and a fun read.
- Dan Pink’s Drive, about how motivation really works, and To Sell Is Human, a fresh look at how people really buy things, and how to sell to them.
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion and Presuasion by Robert Cialdini
- Previous blog posts and podcast episodes
- 7 Persuasion Tips For More Influence and Better Engagement (article)
- Don’t Just Use Social Proof – Make Sure It’s Personal (article)
- The Secrets Behind a Remarkable Go-To-Market Strategy (podcast episode)
- The Product Management-Product Marketing Interface (podcast episode)
Subscribe, Rate, Review
You can subscribe to the podcast using the buttons below, or the ones over to the right. The great benefit of subscribing is that you’ll get new episodes automatically when I release them.
To help others find the podcast, you can rate and review the podcast on iTunes, or click the Recommend button in your podcast player of choice. Your recommendations help other product managers and innovators find the podcast. It really helps me out and spreads the word. Of course, you can also share the podcast with your friends and colleagues directly.
I’d Love To Hear From You!
Please leave a comment below or drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or on LinkedIn.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 15:39 — 18.0MB)
Subscribe to The Secrets of Product Management on your favorite podcast service! Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Android | Stitcher | Email | RSS | More