- In this short episode I share the five questions you need to ask about any new product or feature idea.
- The questions will help you ensure the idea solves a real problem, for people who will pay for a solution.
- You should be asking these questions on your own ideas. And especially when someone asks you “what do you think of my idea?”
“What do you think of my new product idea?”
This is one of the more common questions I hear from product managers at meetups or in Slack channels. I always try to respond with the five questions I share in this episode. It’s a bit surprising how rarely the person knows the answers. But if they don’t know the answers, chances are the idea is a solution in search of a problem.
- I cover the Value Inequality in some podcast episodes here and here.
- Read more about my fundamental framework for thinking about product management: We find problems, create solutions, and take them to market.
- I mention my book The Secret Product Manager Handbook in passing. You can get it on Amazon in Kindle or paperback.
If you found this episode valuable, have additional questions for me to consider, or have an alternative viewpoint, please leave me a comment down below.