As you may know, I’m kind of a “tool guy.” I’m such a tool guy that not only will you hear me talk about my power tools in this episode, but I also was the product manager for a tool for product managers for 7 years.
In this episode I share two ways of thinking about tools – and product management tools in particular. I hope they give you some new ways to think about not only product management tools, but about what we do as product managers.
- Doug Engelbart’s 1962 Augmenting Human Intellect paper
- Engelbart’s Mother of All Demos from 1968
- A wonderful Engelbart talk from 2004 at the Accelerating Change Conference
- My podcast episode on tool selection criteria
- My article on what I call the “spreadsheet fallacy” – a fundamental trap for tool builders
- If you like this kind of thinking, you might like my book, The Secret Product Manager Handbook (available on Amazon in paperback and Kindle)
- My YouTube channel has lots of interesting product management-related videos
Let me know what you think
Have you had a great experience with a product management tool? I’d love to hear about it.
Is there some capability you want in a product management tool that you can’t find? I’d love to commiserate with you!
Please leave a comment – either via a voicemail with the widget below, or just type one in – letting me know what you think about the ideas in this podcast.