What Is The Minimum Effective Dose of Product Management?
This episode is a portion of my recent workship on “product management for founders,” that I gave at the Incepto startup incubator in Menlo Park, CA.
- Some of the attendees are doing Steve Blank’s Lean Launchpad, which is really a great place to start.
- In the episode, I mention Owlet, a relatively new startup that won a business model competition in 2014. They now have their baby monitor products for sale on Amazon, very successfully. Their presentation at the business model competition is amazing for how much they learned about their market, pricing, competition, and how they pivoted off their original ideas, all without doing any coding or building hardly any prototypes.
- I also talk a lot about Minimum Viable Products, or MVPs, and I always like to share this video of Eric Reis saying that a landing page can be an MVP (timestamp 6:30). There is some controversy about this, but he says “despite all the work we did, all the learning was from 3% of the work we did right at the end, the crappy landing page. That was actually the minimum viable product.”
- Check out the Project Product conference, and if you’d like to register, use discount code “SPKRFRIEND20”.
- You can sign up for my workshop on mastering presentation and influence skills for product managers and product marketers in Indianapolis on March 11, following the Project Product conference.
Subscribe, Rate, Review
You can subscribe to the podcast using the buttons below, or the ones over to the right. The great benefit of subscribing is that you’ll get new episodes automatically when I release them.
If you like the show, please consider rating the podcast at Rate This Podcast (the link is for this podcast).
You can also rate and review the podcast on iTunes, or click the Recommend button in your podcast player of choice. Your recommendations help other product managers and innovators find the podcast. It really helps me out and spreads the word. Of course, you can also share the podcast with your friends and colleagues directly!
I’d Love To Hear From You!
Please leave a comment below or drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support the Podcast
You can support the podcast by donating on my Patreon page. There are several levels of support available – but any amount is amazing.
And you can always buy my book, The Secret Product Manager Handbook, available in Kindle and paperback.