Your storytelling power is not only a differentiator, it’s a risk reducer
Your stories of what you actually did – although still somewhat subject to wariness on the part of the hiring manager – are their best way to assess what you can really do and what you are really like. This means they are critical for reducing the hiring manager’s perception of risk of hiring you.
In this episode I’m talking about the problem – roughly and simplistically let’s call it “getting your next (or first) product manager job” – from a few different angles.
- Managing your career like you’d manage a product.
- Reducing the perception of risk of hiring you.
- Go-to-market – especially the “sales process” – which when you’re looking for a new product management job is *the interview.”
A few links
- Storytelling episodes – How To Elicit, Structure, and Use Customer Success Stories, The Two Stories Every Product Manager Must Be Able To Tell, and Reducing The Perception of Risk – The Art of Pre-handling Objections
- The Value Inequality
Storytelling masterclass and boot camp
- Sign up for my storytelling masterclass on April 30, 2020
- Sign up for my May 2020 storytelling bootcamp where you can really get prepared, go deeper into storytelling, and polish a few of your own stories with my coaching.
Subscribe, Rate, Review
You can subscribe to the podcast using the buttons below, or the ones over to the right. The great benefit of subscribing is that you’ll get new episodes automatically when I release them.
To help others find the podcast, you can rate and review the podcast on iTunes, or click the Recommend button in your podcast player of choice. Your recommendations help other product managers and innovators find the podcast. It really helps me out and spreads the word. Of course, you can also share the podcast with your friends and colleagues directly.
I’d Love To Hear From You!
Please leave a comment below or drop me an email at email@example.com.
And you can always buy my book, The Secret Product Manager Handbook, available in Kindle and paperback.