I removed a feature from one of the applications I manage this week, and I used a Fermi estimate to validate that it would be safe to do so. What’s that you say, “a Fermi estimate?” And why do I think Fermi estimates are one of the most powerful analytical tools in the product manager’s toolbox? Possibly the most important analytical tool?
I’ve done some recent episodes on analytics – links below. But in this episode I have yet another somewhat different perspective – and I hope, meaningful and thought provoking – than you’re probably used to hearing.
- How To Measure Anything, by Douglas W. Hubbard
- Decisive, by Chip and Dan Heath. The Heaths give you the secrets of expert decision makers. As product managers, the quality of our decisions directly impacts our success. Their simple WRAP methodology for improving your decision-making process will make your decisions much better.
- I have several podcasts, articles, and videos on analytics: How To Prioritize: Top 6 Prioritization Tips (article); A Simple Example of Strategy-based Prioritization (YouTube video)
- My YouTube channel – visit for lots of archived videos, and my weekly live stream webinar.
- The Secret Product Manager Handbook, my guide to product management. One reviewer said “Your book was incredibly valuable! Much easier to use than [another well-known product management book].”
Your Feedback, Please
As always, I look forward to your comments and feedback on this episode. Leave a comment below, or drop me a line directly via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.