Innovation is important, but how do you measure it?
Mostly in this episode I actually talk about what innovation is, and some history of innovation in tech and other domains, but it all started with a LinkedIn post about “If you can’t measure it, you can’t manage it.”
Resources for this episode
- A web site with many definitions of innovation.
- The classic book about disruptive innovation: The Innovator’s Dilemma: When New Technologies Cause Great Firms To Fail, by Clayton Christensen. There’s a long section about hard disk drive innovation.
- My article about “the secret product management framework,” where the “Find a market problem, create a solution, take it to market,” comes from.
- The Wikipedia article about the founding of Twitter in 2006.
- The Wikipedia article about the “Build a better mousetrap” quote.
Up your product management skills!
If you are just getting into product management, or you’re busy leveling up into more senior PM positions, don’t forget there are a ton of resources in my previous episodes – on storytelling, persuasion, prioritization, working with developers, working with marketers – and on my website The Secret Product Manager Handbook.
And if you want to accelerate your product management career, go to calendly.com/nilsdavis/consultation for a FREE 45 minute coaching and discovery call. (No obligation.)
Don’t forget to subscribe!
If you want to help me out, and more importantly, help other product managers find and enjoy this podcast, please subscribe on your podcast system of choice. And consider giving me a review on iTunes or “starring” the episode on your player. It helps other people find the podcast, and makes me a little happier as well. I might even read your review in an upcoming episode.
If you have comments, questions, or complaints about this episode or the podcast, please leave a comment down below and I’ll get back to you immediately.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 31:41 — 35.3MB)
Subscribe to The Secrets of Product Management on your favorite podcast service! Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Android | Stitcher | Email | RSS | More