Decision-making is a core competency for product managers
Greg Prickril, who’s been a guest on the podcast, just did a LinkedIn post about the most important competency for product managers. He said it was “prioritization” – which I don’t disagree with. And one important facet of prioritization is decision making. And in this episode I give three (actually four) great hacks for making better decisions.
The hacks (or tips)
- One-way versus two-way decisions.
- Get perspective – the 10-day, 10-month, 10-year hack.
- It’s never just either/or – there are always more options.
- Pre-mortems – imagine the worst outcome from your decision, then imagine how that bad outcome came about, so you can mitigate it in advance.
- Decisive, a fantastic book by Chip and Dan Heath on making better decisions. To be honest I swiped some of these hacks from Decisive.
Some of my previous podcast episodes and articles on:
- Strengths and weaknesses (episode 84)
- Strengths: How To Be Better, Outsmarting Imposter Syndrome, Soft Skills For Product Managers
- Mental models and metaphors: Product Management Metaphors – Bad and Good, Mental Models for Product Managers (an article, not a podcast episode).
Don’t forget to subscribe!
If you want to help me out, and more importantly, help other product managers find and enjoy this podcast, please subscribe on your podcast system of choice. And consider giving me a review on iTunes or “starring” the episode on your player. It helps other people find the podcast, and makes me a little happier as well. I might even read your review in an upcoming episode.
If you have comments, questions, or complaints about this episode or the podcast, please leave a comment down below and I’ll get back to you immediately.