Kristy Olinger – Communication Guru
I met Kristy Olinger a few months ago, introduced by our mutual friend Greg Prickril (a guest on the podcast last year). We immediately hit it off and I knew she’d be a great guest for the podcast.
In her day job Kristy is a product manager for credit card offerings at Citizens Bank. On the side she has her own podcast, “The Opposite of Small Talk“, and presents online trainings, workshops, and keynotes through KO Communication. She also runs a mean Instagram game under ko.communication.
In this episode she gives us some insights on how to improve your communication skills at work, including how to engage difficult stakeholders using the familiarity principle, and how to disrupt a disruptor. Underlying a lot of her communication guidance is what she calls “Radical Transparency.”
We also talked a bit about strengths (a topic I’ve spent a few recent episodes on) and their relationship to the idea of a growth mindset, and a book she recommends called The Fire Starter Sessions by Danielle LaPorte, and her concept of “ease,” which is closely related to the idea behind strengths.
Links to books, podcasts, and sites we mentioned in the episode
- More on The Mere-Exposure Effect aka The Familiarity Principle of Attraction
- The Happier Podcast from Gretchen Rubin.
- Compelling People, by John Neffinger and Matthew Kohut.
- The Fire Starter Sessions, by Danielle LaPorte
- Mindset, by Carol Dweck, the bible on the “growth mindset” (and its opposite, the fixed mindset).
- Kristy’s courses and workshops, including Consensus Creator, Kristy’s new online short course.
- Kristy’s “free stuff” – a great collection of resources on communication, relationships, and having more effective meetings.
- Kristy on Instagram (ko.communication)
Don’t forget to subscribe!
If you want to help me out, and more importantly, help other product managers find and enjoy this podcast, please subscribe on your podcast system of choice. And consider giving me a review on iTunes or “starring” the episode on your player. It helps other people find the podcast, and makes me a little happier as well. I might even read your review in an upcoming episode.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 35:33 — 32.1MB)
Subscribe to The Secrets of Product Management on your favorite podcast service! Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Android | Stitcher | Email | RSS | More