A while ago I did an episode called “The Two Stories Every Product Manager Must Be Able To Tell.” It was inspired by a great episode of Mario Martinez’ Selling With Social podcast. He featured Mark Adams, author of 7 Stories Every Salesperson Must Tell.
Obviously, in that episode I only covered two of those, so in this episode I cover the rest, how to think about them, the key pieces of content and structure, for delivering brilliant storytelling about your product, your company, your customers, and yourself.
The six story types
The story types I cover in this episode are the following:
- Your story about yourself.
- A customer success story.
- The story of a prospect’s current tragedy.
- The story of a product you’re introducing to market, but you don’t have any customer success stories yet.
- The story of your company and how it came to be where it is today.
- Your own story and how you got where you are today.
Links and resources
- Would you like personalized advice and guidance on how to apply the ideas in this episode for brilliant storytelling? I provide 1-on-1 coaching and consulting to help product managers and marketers ignite their careers. To try it out, sign up for a free “taster” coaching session.
- My book, The Secret Product Manager Handbook, is full of great information and tools for product management you won’t find anywhere else.
Related podcast episodes
I’ve done many other episodes in this podcast related to brilliant storytelling you might enjoy and find valuable.
- How to Elicit, Structure, and Use Customer Success Stories
- Digging for Market Problems Worth Solving With Open-ended Questions
- Reducing The Perception of Risk: The Art of Pre-handling Objections
- Sales Not Making Quota? It’s Probably Your Fault – Part 1. (Part 2 is here.)
- Persuasion Tips: Part 1
Support the podcast
If you like this podcast and want to support it, consider becoming a patron on my Patreon page.
Or, review and rate the podcast on iTunes.
But the easiest and fastest (and cheapest) way to support the podcast is to leave me a comment or question, or drop one into my Twitter mentions (I’m @nilsdavis), or just send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 29:50 — 27.3MB)
Subscribe to The Secrets of Product Management on your favorite podcast service! Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Android | Stitcher | Email | RSS | More