Product roadmaps: constant topic of conversation, mostly useless
In this episode, a few of the uncomfortable – and often unmentioned – truths about product roadmaps. Predicting the future; different stakeholders have different needs; and what is the purpose of the roadmap anyway?
Of course, I have some practical advice that – while not as simple as “use this tool” – will enable you to be more successful when faced with “I need you to share the roadmap with this customer.”
Resources I mentioned in the episode
- My “how to do roadmapping” webinar for Product Management Today that got me started on this topic.
- The discussion page on UserStories on the wikiwikiweb at the Portland Pattern Repository – good fun.
- Scaling Software Agility by Dean Leffingwell. A great introduction to lots of different software development methodologies and their strengths and weaknesses. Plus how to apply them to very large development projects.
- Flash Foresight by Daniel Burrus. It turns out you can predict the future, at least certain parts of it. Definitely worth reading – this book will blow your mind.
- Podcast episode #61 on pre-handling objections
- Podcast episodes on persuasion (part 1) and part 2.
- An much earlier episode on product roadmaps (from 2015)
- My very old (but updated recently) article about product roadmaps that turned into a chapter in my book (The Secret Product Manager Handbook, available on Amazon in Kindle and paperback).
- Jared Spool’s article on theme-based product roadmaps
- Janna Bastow of ProdPad gave a TED Talk about on Now-Next-Future product roadmaps.
- I’ll mention it again – my book, The Secret Product Manager Handbook, is full of great information and tools for product management you won’t find anywhere else.
- Struggling with “communication skills?” – then watch “How To 10x Your Business Presentation in 1 Hour – No Design Skills Needed.
- And if you are struggling with your roadmap – or any other problem in your career – you should schedule a coaching taster call with me. I bet I can help!
Support this podcast
- If you like this podcast and want to support it, consider becoming a patron on my Patreon page.
- Or, review and rate the podcast on iTunes.
- But the easiest and fastest (and cheapest) way to support the podcast is to leave me a comment or question, or drop one into my Twitter mentions (I’m @nilsdavis), or just send me an email at email@example.com.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 22:48 — 20.9MB)
Subscribe to The Secrets of Product Management on your favorite podcast service! Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Android | Stitcher | Email | RSS | More